What are the baby products that you really need? That you will use every day and that really make a difference. I thought that I would pull together a list of the things that I couldn’t do without. Then I asked the mums on my Facebook page for their thoughts. (I haven’t included stuff like babygro’s, muslins etc as I’m sure you know that you will definitely need those!)
- Sling. I used a Baby Bjorn carrier second time around and highly recommend it. I used it to carry a colicky Lily around the house every day.
- If you are breastfeeding – A breastpump, Breastfeeding bra’s, breastmilk storage bags, breastpads (either disposable breast pads or washable breast pads), bottles and steriliser (we had a microwave steriliser, when not in use we stored in the microwave, when we weren’t using it of course!)However electric is not essential and I had friends who swore by their manual pump.
- A playgym – we had one with lights mirrors and music and both little ones loved it. We then passed it on to my beautiful baby niece who also loved it.
- A rocker/bouncer chair that has handles so can be carried around the house with you. This was a lifesaver for me as it meant I could carry them around the house as I did stuff on the occasions that I didn’t use the sling.
- Bepanthen, for me the only nappy cream that actually worked (and available on prescription if your little one has a sore bottom but also over the counter).
- Cellular blankets. We used ours for safe swaddling when they were newborn.
- Baby Sleeping bags. Available in individual togs eg Gro Bags or as a multi tog/ multi season baby sleeping bag like Babasac. We moved ours into their sleeping bags about 12 weeks.
- A travel system. I have done both with and without one of these. First time round we had a separate car seat and a Maclaren Techno XT, which is a great buggy but I was envious of friends being able to put their sleeping babies from the car onto the wheels of their travel system. Second time round we were given a Bugaboo and it was fantastic, I loved having my baby facing me in the pram then the buggy and being able to use the car seat on it was great. On the downside, sometimes a wheel had to be unclipped to get it into the boot. Before you buy, check out whether yours will fit in the boot of your car!!
- Door Bouncer- these have a limited window of use but once your baby is big enough, they are fantastic entertainment (for you and them!) We borrowed one from a friend, the Lindam door bouncer.
- Musical Star. (Tomy Starlight Baby Dreamshow Projection) I remember thinking that this looked a bit tacky when we were recommended it by a friend but it is amazing and my nearly 3 year old Lily still uses it when she goes to bed now! It is a cue for sleep, it seems to work when putting them down, if they wake in the night. It’s just brilliant and it is small enough to take if you are going away anywhere.
There was so much stuff mentioned on my Facebook page that I am just going to list it here, starting with the things that got mentioned numerous times. Some stuff was also mentioned that appeared in my list too.
Waitrose Bottom butter (apparently good for you to use on your face too!), cloth nappies, Cheeky Wipes Washable wipes, Jumperoo, Mamascarf, soft muslins.
Add to the comments if you have something that you couldn’t have lived without.