This week’s post is from Eve, founder of Baba+Boo, with an introduction to cloth nappies.
“I’m Eve, the founder of Baba+Boo, a brand of reusable nappies along with other waste-saving products for families. I just wanted to give you a little idea of how easy cloth nappies are to use and help you do your bit for the future of our planet.
If you hear the words ‘cloth nappies’ being uttered when you are a baby group or soft play, there’s no need to run a mile…honest! If the thoughts of washing, scrubbing and inconvenience come into your mind…banish them. Using cloth nappies is really easy; if I can use them, anyone can.
I believe cloth nappies should be viewed like bibs: They are just as simple to use and care for and, like bibs, you don’t need to use them all the time. You can mix and match your nappies to suit your lifestyle/childcare situation – even those moments when whatever is nearest will do. There are some mums who believe that only cloth will do, but we believe the best way to get started is to just have three or so – even just one makes the difference.
Here are some tips to get your started:
- Don’t think that you have to change your lifestyle for them, they fit in with you. You can even put them in your normal wash. Even if you use them full time, it’s usually only an extra wash or two a week and I don’t know a mum that would notice that – when is a mum’s washing machine ever off?!
- Don’t be put off if they leak at first, this is normal while you get the fit right on your baba. Babies come in all shapes and sizes so it takes some trial and error to get the fit spot on.
- Do mix and match between disposables and cloth until you get used to them. A good way to start is use cloth at home until you’re more confident (that won’t take long).
- Do holler if you get stuck. There are so many cloth nappy facebook groups and mums who are more than willing to share their experience and offer advice.
- Don’t be overcome by the amount of information out there about nappies. It can be daunting! Think of them of a disposable that you put in the washing machine rather than the bin…it really is as simple as that.
- Do a little online research to see if your local council have any trial schemes or offer any incentives, such as cashback. Also look for local nappy libraries – the ladies who run these are really knowledgeable about cloth nappies and work wonders in getting more babies into cloth nappies.
We sell nappies in lots of bright prints and plain colours. They can be purchased in singles or discounted bundles if you are ready to take the leap. Every purchase comes with information of how to use and we are there to help for as long as you need to get started.
For more information, we have a ton of guides and information on our website.”
There’s a Mama Designs discount code on the Baba + Boo website now: Use ‘MAMA10’ for 10% off your order!