My Instagram is full of adverts and posts about eco alternatives to our everyday living and I have to say it’s worked in making me think about what I can do as an individual. I first started considering eco swaps last year and I am slowly making transitions. It’s not something you can do overnight and hauling everything out and starting again with everything is not practical, it is a gradual journey to living a more eco life.
We have to start somewhere because we only have one world and we need to take care of it, so we have found 10 easy eco swaps for you to consider…
- – These triple layered pads are an amazing alternative to your everyday cotton wool pads. The normal cotton wool pad doesn’t biodegrade due to chemicals, bleaching and processes that are used to make them and so they accumulate in landfill sites. The bamboo makes the the pads really soft and you simply just put them into the net bag then wash and reuse again.
2. Eco-Egg Reusable Bamboo Kitchen Towels – For a long time now I have used facecloths and washcloths for the kitchen and simply wash them again and reuse but I still use a lot of paper towel. These look incredible and I will be purchasing them in my next amazon order.
3. Mama Designs Bamboo Washable Wipes – We first brought these out for our gorgeous babies during bath time and nappy changing. But they are multifunctional. You can use them in the bath, at mealtimes as changing nappy wipes or use them to remove your make up too! Anytime you might consider using a disposable wipe. Simply use wet or make your own spray solution… we like a few squirts of baby wash mixed with a drop of lavender oil and a drop of tea tree for nappies and just water for little faces.
4. Neat Multi Purpose Cleaning Bottle and Refills – Neat has created an aluminium spray bottle with concentrated multi purpose cleaning refills. So instead of your plastic multipurpose spray products, you mix up the solution yourself and reuse the spray container. The refills come in small glass bottles which are recyclable.
5.Mama Designs Reusable Sanitary Pads – These were a game changer for me last year! They are more absorbent, more comfortable and easy to use and care for as well as being a greener option. Three pads cost from £12.40 and when you consider that they can last from 3-5 years, that’s great value for money.
6. Bower Collective – Bower provide a number of cleaning products and refills. They offer washing up liquid refills with a glass bottle, hand soap, dishwasher tablets and cleaning sprays.
7. UnPaper Towels are a great alternative to kitchen roll. Made sustainably in the UK from towelling which would have gone to landfill, these are not only absorbent but will cut down your consumption.
8. Mama Designs Bamboo Washable Breast Pads – For those who choose to breastfeed, these are a great alternative compared to your disposable breast pads. Use from pregnancy onwards. They are more absorbent and more comfortable to use . Once you have stopped breastfeeding, use them as make up remover pads!
9. Wooden Tooth brushes – Such an easy swap and you can buy them widely really cheaply. To think that every toothbrush you have had is still in existence!! OMG! We love these Hydrophil toothbrushes from A Fine Choice, they even do kids versions.
10. Beeswax Wax Wraps – I have a thing about plastic and food and so I don’t want to use cling film from that point of view but also from a waste point of view. So these beeswax wraps are perfect…. for sandwiches, picnics and leftovers.
Couldn’t resist adding one more…
11 . these eco friendly razors reusable safety razors by Jungle Culture are produced using eco-friendly, natural bamboo and durable chrome. They are perfectly weighted and balanced to make zero waste shaving easy for beginners.
Have you made any eco swaps recently? We would love to hear!